Skip to main content

Medieval History Weekend 9: The Sena dynasty and The Pratihara Dynasty

 History Weekend

Before I dive in, first I should tell you about this page. This page holds some infamous, famous and information about the origin of the earth continents, countries and their history of survivals.

If you are new to my kingdomprincy.blogspot.com History Weekend, then check out the Ancient History Series.


The Sena dynasty

Sena dynasty, Indian dynasty ruling in Bengal in the 11th and 12th centuries CE. Their ancestors came from the south and established themselves as chieftains in southwestern Bengal early in the 11th century. Hemantasena, the founder of the dynasty, was originally a tributary of the Pala dynasty. In the mid-11th century, he declared his independence and set himself up as the king. Vijayasena (reigned c. 1095–1158), built an empire on the ruins of that of the Palas, gaining control of all Bengal and northern Bihar.


The Senas originally belonged to the Karnata country (Karnatadeshatagata) in South India, the Kanarese speaking region in modern Mysore, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh of India, and they were Brahma-Ksatriyas (those who were Brahmanas first and became Ksatriyas afterwards).


Sena rule in Bengal brought about a marked revival of orthodox Hinduism. The caste system, which had become careless because of the Buddhist influence of the Palas. It was re-established, and the Bengali system of hypergamy, the socially upward marriage of women, was reputedly founded by the Sena king Vallalasena. The last Sena king, Lakshmanasena (reigned c. 1178– c. 1205), became a great patron of literature; the poets Jayadeva and Dhoyi wrote at his court on Nadia. Lakshmanasena was expelled from Nadia in 1202 by the Turkish chief Muḥammad Bakhtyār Khaljī and died about three years later. Sena kings continued to rule in eastern Bengal for some decades, but the main political power in Bengal passed to the Muslims.


The Sena dynasty is famous for building Hindu temples and monasteries, which include the renowned Dhakeshwari Temple in what is now Dhaka, Bangladesh.

In Kashmir, the dynasty also likely built a temple knows as Sankara Gaureshwara.



The Pratihara Dynasty


Pratihara also called Gurjana Pratihara because they were related to Gurjan (today's known as Gujrat). The Gurjara-Pratiharas were instrumental in containing Arab armies moving east of the Indus River. They were the protector of the north-west India region cause they resisted the Arab incursion through Sindh.


Nagabhata I defeated the Arab army under Junaid and Tamin in the Caliphate campaigns in India. Under Nagabhata II, the Gurjara-Pratiharas became the most powerful dynasty in northern India. He was succeeded by his son Ramabhadra, who ruled briefly before being succeeded by his son, Mihira Bhoja. 

Under Bhoja and his successor Mahendrapala I, the Pratihara Empire reached its peak of prosperity and power. By the time of Mahendrapala, the extent of its territory resembled that of the Gupta. Empire stretching from the border of Sindh in the west to Bengal in the east. It is stretching from the Himalayas in the north to areas past the Narmada in the south. The expansion triggered a tripartite power struggle. The Rashtrakuta and Pala empires have control of the Indian Subcontinent. During this period, Imperial Pratihara took the title of Maharajadhiraja of Āryāvarta (Great King of Kings of India).




Gurjara-Pratihara is known for their sculptures, carved panels and open pavilion-style temples. The most famous, development of their temple architecture was at Khajuraho, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.


In 915 A.D. the Kanauj was attacked by a Rashtrakuta king, who devastated the city leading to the weakening of the Pratihara Empire. In 1018, Kannauj then ruled by Rajyapala Pratihara was sacked by Mahmud of Ghazni. The empire broke into independent Rajput states.



Other Useful Post

Dear readers, share your thoughts. Let me know in the comment.


Until my next blog post, here's wishing you lots of joy and happiness!

With love,

Princy

Thank you for reading.

Free feel to share, comment and don't forget to follow.

Now you can also follow me on social media Twitter|Facebook|Instagram|Pinterest|Youtube.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which Disney Princess are you?

 Dear Readers Are you a big fan of Disney movies? If the answer is "Yes" . Then this post is just for you. I have shared some very inspiring Disney princess Character who has a powerful impact on the fan. They taught us a valuable lesson about life. And they have inspired us to be an honourable person.  Can you tell me which Disney princess personality you can relate? Share Which Disney Princess You Are from the list. And let me know in the comment section below.  Read our previous Disney post: Top 10 Disney movies to watch . This Personality List Will Determine Which Disney Princess You Are follow me on  Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest . Belle Belle! What can I say about her? I mean her first love is a book which points to her insignificant intelligence, amazing vocabulary, active imagination, and an open mind thinking . She is very confident and outspoken in her opinion . She does not have very many friends due to her smarts and being an independent thi...

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Greeting Readers This post may contain affiliate links where, at no additional price to you, I may receive a commission if you use them. I only recommend products I use, trust, and adore.  O nce upon a time in a wonderland of my thoughts, I realised that I am an Introvert . I need to think things through very thoroughly before expressing an opinion. I also like change, especially when it changes something for the better. So, when I found myself in a job where I constantly told that I was too quiet, where they wanted opinions and comments on everything from day one, but weren’t open to changing anything, I knew it wasn’t for me. After leaving that job, I wanted to make sure that wherever my life took me next was better aligned to bring me joy and happiness . So I started this blog as to the way to connect to other people and help each other find joy. What is an Introvert? The word introvert word comes from Latin . The word intro means "to the inside" and vertere means ...

Top 5 motivational TED talks for introverts

 Dear Readers Quiet people have the loudest mind - Stephan Hawking I am an introvert , and I can say it proudly. I know who I am, and I fully embrace me. So, if you are still confused that you are an introvert or an extrovert then check out my post  Are you an introvert or an extrovert? In today's post, I'm sharing 5 motivational TED talks for introverts .  Make sure you watch the video. Before we start, readers who don't know about The TED talks here is a quick preview: TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Meanwhile, independently run TEDx events help share ideas in communities around the world. - TED Talks Organisation ...